“QUAKER RIDGE”, Scarsdale. Another building boom occurred after World War II. The area that experienced the greatest development was Quaker Ridge, which derived its name from its early Quaker settlers. Quaker Ridge Elementary School opened in 1947. Major strides in community recreation included public tennis and paddle courts, public day camps, a swimming pool complex and a vast array of programs.
On the southeastern "Quaker Ridge" end of town, meanwhile, the Society of Friends built a first school in 1815. The Friends subsequently surrendered this clapboard, one room structure to public New Rochelle District Three. A "little red schoolhouse" followed in 1863, and in 1866, the Quaker Ridge part of District Three became a new, separate, Scarsdale District Two that continued to educate children from Scarsdale, as well as from parts of Mamaroneck and New Rochelle. In 1901, the stone and wooden Stick-style Griffen Avenue School replaced the 1863 building, followed in the 1940's by a brick Georgian building at the current Weaver Street site. Modernist quadrangles were added in the 1960's, and all but the gym of the original 1940's structure was then replaced with a new section of Modernist design in 2006.